Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Here we go again...

Well as I've seen happen before, I had another tooth infection followed almost immediately by a rather nasty chest cold.  And as I've seen happen before, the infections have apparently angered the MS, and I am once again relapsing.
The minute I felt the pain start in my tooth two weeks ago, part of me knew this was coming.  I had hoped it wouldn't, but history has shown that it doesn't take much to piss off the beast and cause a relapse.  Over the last week I've felt myself slowly slipping.  First, the numbness and tingling returned to the left side of my face.  Next my balance started to go, until now I can barely walk as I'm so dizzy it makes me nauseous.  My eyes are also acting up, which always scares me, as a return of the horrible double vision is a major fear of mine.  And of course, right on cue, my cognitive has sufficiently gone south leaving me a 'word fishing', stuttering, mess.

I finally contacted my doctor today, and as I thought he would, he immediately ordered another round of IV steroids.  I swore I wouldn't do IV steroids again, yet here I go again.  Unlike the last two times of starting the infusion many weeks into a full-blown relapse, this time I am starting almost immediately before things get severe.  I am hoping, praying, that because of this it will be more effective than it was the last time.  The sad fact is, I don't feel I have much other choice except to try again.  I do not want to be relapsing over Christmas.  Urgh.

What also sucks is the fact I can no longer do the infusion at home.  Apparently, two months ago the insurance company stopped authorizing home treatment if it is less than five days long.  So now, I have to go into the hospital outpatient three days in a row for the infusion.  I am not happy about this.  What a waste of time.  I can do everything myself except insert the actual needle, it's ridiculous I now have to go have someone else do everything for me.  *sighs*

So, that's where I am at.  Expect another post soon once I start the infusion.

Be well all,

Mis


3 comments:

  1. Melissa, hang in there. I'm here if you need anything, all you have to do is ask.

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what doesn't make sense? The insurance company has to pay the hospital for doing the infusion, which means it cost MORE than if you did it yourself. I'll say it again, our system is broken.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better so you can enjoy Christmas with your family. I just got over a case of brochitis that made the MS flare and left me with tremors. They've subsided a bit, so I'm happy.
    Wishing you and your family a healthy and happy Christmas!

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete