Sunday, September 27, 2009

Goodbye Copaxone, Hello Rebif

I look out my window, and see the signs of autumn upon us. I love fall, it is by far my favorite time of year. I'm already plotting how to get to the cider mill this year despite my physical struggles. Just as the world is changing outside with the season, it seems once again my own little world in a state of change again as well.

As I mentioned in a previous entry, I had stopped taking Copaxone in preparation to begin Rebif. I'll be honest, I was dreading it. Then the titration pack arrived in the mail, and I simply cringed. Not so much the thought at having to do shots again, but because of the side effects. For those unfamiliar, a titration pack is an increasing dose to get your body gradually accustomed to the medication. I have to do the injection three nights a week; I chose Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday because I can sleep in the following day if needed. The first six injections were only 8.8ml, and much to my relief, I coasted through pretty easily. Now, last night was my second dose at 22ml. Hmmm...not coasting quite as easily anymore. I had a feeling almost tripling the dose would hit me harder, and I was right. I'm not sure how to explain it, except it feels like the aftermath of having the flu. I find the day after (I go to sleep immediately after the shot) I feel extremely achy, run down, and just overall blah. Needless to say, if this is how I feel after only 22ml, I'm seriously dreading the next to jump to the full strength dose of 44ml. Urgh!

I guess I'll have to wait and see how the next few months go. Maybe I'm being foolish even posting on this right now- I admit I'm not in the best spirits. As most know (see previous post) me and stairs simply do not get along anymore. Yet I am currently living in a second floor apartment. Well, to make a long story short, the stairs have officially won the battle. *sighs* About a week ago, I completely blew out my knee trying to maneuver them, and I've been pretty much housebound trying to heal ever since. I'm getting real sick of limping around the house in a flurry of profanity whenever I try to do even the simplest thing like move from my computer to the couch. So couple that with legs that were already sore and weak, and a shot that leaves me achy the next day, I'm more than a little annoyed at life at the moment. It just sucks. I'm sick of being tired, and I'm tired of being sick.

The one bright spot on the horizon, is we are trying to move into a ranch house. No stairs, yay! I actually just called the homeowner back today, I'm hoping we can see it either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm praying he's also willing to work with us on deposits- we had anticipated a large back check from Social Security to cover the moving expenses and deposits. Thanks to them apparently forgetting I worked full time many years before getting sick, that check hasn't come. Now, we are struggling to come up with the money on our own. Not an easy feat. But, as my currently swollen and fluid filled knee proves, the time has come moving to a single story dwelling is no longer an option- it's a necessity. I just can't live on the second floor anymore, it's making my life ten times more miserable and painful than need be.

So, that's the latest from my end. Say a little prayer my knee heals up and we find a way to move into this house. I guarantee if these two things happen- my next post will be in MUCH better spirits :)

Until next time- Be well!
Mis

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    Hang in there. I want to very badly to be able to kiss it and make it all better.....how simple life use to be. Things will be better for you once you get out of the second floor apartment. Better for the kids too.

    I love you, let me know if I can help.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete